The Italian Chamber of Commerce of Ontario (ICCO) is hosting a four-week dinner series of virtual cooking classes where you’re invited to cook alongside chef Roberto Fracchioni in real-time as he walks you through some of his favourite recipes virtually on Microsoft Teams.
Here’s the Tutti a Tavola! virtual cooking class lineup:
April 7 (4-5 p.m.): Gnocchi with Gorgonzola Cream Sauce
April 14 (4-5 p.m.): Vitello Tonnato
April 21 (4-5 p.m.): Fennel & Blood Orange Salad
April 28 (4-5 p.m.): Olive Oil Cake
NOTE: There’s no need for unnecessary grocery store visits right now! You’re encouraged to pull ingredients from your fridge that you already have and chef Roberto can help you adapt his original recipe. Send him a message in real-time using the chat function during the cooking class and he’ll help you out! The same goes for if you have any other questions at that time.
To give you a head start here’s the first recipe…
GNOCCHI with Gorgonzola Cream Sauce
1 kg Yukon Gold Potatoes
300 g (+/-) Flour
1.Preheat oven to 350ºF
2. Poke holes in potatoes with a fork and roast on baking tray for about 35 mins until soft.
3. Cut potatoes in half and leave them on baking tray cut side facing up.
4. Once cooled for 5 mins, pass the potatoes through a fine mesh sieve.
5. Mix in flour and egg, adjusting the amount of flour to create a dough that is just a bit sticky (do not work dough too much).
6. Start bringing a pot of water with plenty of salt to a boil.
7. Roll the dough into long snakes about 1/2” in diameter and cut these into 3/4” long pieces.
8. Roll these little pieces of dough over your gnocchi board or a fork to give them a grooved imprint,
9. Boil immediately until gnocchi floats, or freeze immediately if not being used right away.
10. Strain but keep some pasta water and toss with sauce.
Gorgonzola Cream Sauce
3.5 oz Sweet Gorgonzola
2 tbsp Unsalted Butter
2/3 cup 2% Milk
2 tbsp 35% Cream
4 tbsp Parmigiano Reggiano (grated)
1/3 cup Pasta Water
Salt & Pepper to taste
1.Heat milk and butter in a large skillet or pan until the butter has melted.
2. Add Gorgonzola and stir gently until melted into the mixture.
3. Add cream and 1 tbsp Parmigiano-Reggiano with a good pinch of salt and pepper.
4.Cook the sauce until cheese is melted and add the pasta water.
5. Add the cooked gnocchi and toss until evenly coated.
6. Serve with an extra grating of Parmigiano Reggiano.
Share your creations on Instagram tagging @italchambers and using #ICCOTuttiATavola!