I am obsessed with Japanese soufflé pancakes ever since I had my first taste at Fuwa Fuwa Pancakes here in Toronto. The light and fluffy pancakes (literally the translation of Fuwa) are pillowy delights. They are ridiculously dreamy in every way.
So, you can imagine the burst of joy I had when they offered up their recipe for us to try recreating them at home. My tummy is grumbling just at the thought of it all! From observing them being created in the café, I know that these are made from scratch and to order. They are lovingly mixed and so worth the time. If you have a chance, definitely go try them at one of their locations. You will never look at pancakes the same way again!
You can create these stove top using a pan or griddle. We use a cast iron grill in our home for pancakes — yes, we are obsessed and have a dedicated double element grill to make them. I know what I’ll be making this weekend!
Top up the fresh made pancakes with your favourite fresh fruit, chocolate drizzle and/or maple syrup and be prepared for all the compliments.
Japanese Soufflé Pancakes
Courtesy of Fuwa Fuwa
• Two egg yolks
• Whites of three eggs
• Splash of whole milk
• 25-30g flour
• 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
• 30g sugar
1. Separate the eggs, keeping 2 egg yolks in one bowl and all three whites in a separate bowl.
2. Whisk the egg yolks until combined. Add a splash of whole milk to the egg yolks and whisk some more.
3. Add the flour to the egg yolks and set the mixture aside.
4. Set your stand mixer to medium and beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy.
5. Add half of the sugar to your egg white and continue to beat the egg whites for 3 minutes. Then, add in the other half of the sugar.
6. Beat the egg whites and sugar until it forms stiff peaks.
7. Combine the egg yolk and egg white mixture.
8. Butter your pan or griddle on low heat.
9. Scoop the batter onto the pan or griddle.
10. Cook for 3.5 minutes, then flip and cook for another 3.5 minutes.
11. Decorate with toppings and sauces of choice.
*Photos and recipes provided by and printed with permission from Fuwa Fuwa Pancakes.