I’ve been making my own granola for a while now and it’s something that I’ve enjoyed. Not only can I adjust to my personal preferences (more dried fruit please) but it just tastes THAT much better.
I came across this quick and easy recipe the combines granola with my other love for coffee. Have ground coffee beans ready. I like the taste of Melitta’s Dark Roast for a richer flavour.
Leonie’s Toasted Coffee Granola
Makes 5 servings:
100g (1/2 cup) Old-fashioned oatmeal flakes
30 g Spelt flakes
30 g Wheat bran
2 tbsp Water
2 tbsp Melitta Dark Roast
25 g Brown sugar
20 g Sunflower Oil
20 g Honey
1. Preheat the oven to 325° F (160° C)
2. In a bowl, mix the oatmeal, spelt flakes and wheat bran.
3. Heat water, ground coffee, sugar and oil in a small pot until the sugar has dissolved.
4. Add the coffee mixture to the flake mixture, add honey and mix well. (Tip: It is important to make sure that there are no lumps in the mixture and that everything has blended well with the binding coffee mixture.)
5. Spread the coffee and oat mixture evenly on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and bake for about 15-17 minutes or until the granola is golden brown and roasted.
6. Cool granola completely and serve.
Optional: I add my dried fruit (usually dried cranberries) after I take the granola out of the oven and mix in. You can also add in coarsely chopped pecans tossed in before it goes in the oven or even shredded coconut for more flavours.
Tip: The granola keeps for up to 2 weeks in an airtight jar and stored in a cool place.
*reprinted with permission