There are some recipes that I’ve kept in my collection that bring comfort. This particular apple cake recipe is one I’ve held onto for over 20 years. It was given to me by my close friend Katya and I’ve turned to it many, many times. I recall her telling me that it was a recipe that was cherished back in the days when people had to make do with minimal resources. It reminded me so much of an apple cake that was made by my grandmother. What is beautiful about this cake is it’s simplicity – ingredients are often what we have on hand already.
My family loves this cake anytime of day. Great served warm with a scoop of ice cream for a quick and easy dessert!
BTW You also don’t necessarily need electronic handmixers – just mix by hand with a large whisk (or you can still use your handmixer if you want)!
APPLE CAKE for any day
- 3 apples, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
Prepare an 8″x8″ cake pan or round cake pan (grease or line bottom with parchment paper)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, sugar and flour.
- In a separate bowl, toss apples with cinnamon.
- Add apples to the cake batter and stir in well with a large spoon.
- Spoon out batter into pan evenly.
- Option: sprinkle a bit of sugar on top
- Bake in oven for 50 minutes.
Serve warm or room temperature.