There’s a day to celebrate everything, am I right? This is one we fully support. National Ice Cream Day is July 21 and we are excited. This recipe was created by local Toronto small-batch sweet treat maker Luanne Ronquillo, owner of Ruru Baked. Clear some freezer space and get your handy Vitamix ready for this refreshing taste of summer!
LEMON RASPBERRY SWIRL ICE CREAM
1 cup frozen raspberries
1 cup sugar
1 lemon juiced
Lemon Ice Cream:
500 ml/ 2 cups 25% whipping cream
250 ml/ 1 cups condensed milk
180 ml/ 3/4 cup lemon juice
zest of 1 lemon
1. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan or pot.
2. Boil on medium-high heat until all of the sugar has dissolved and the jam has a gel-like texture, about 5 minutes.
3. Let cool. The jam should be a bit runnier than usual which makes it easier to swirl into the ice cream. If it’s too thick it can be thinned with a bit of lemon juice.
Lemon Ice Cream:
1. Put all ingredients into the Vitamix container
2. Blend on medium to high, until the mixture starts to thicken and the air is incorporated into it. The mixture will very thick, creamy, and a bit shiny.
3. Pour about 1/4 of the mixture into a freezer-proof container (like a loaf tin or plastic container).
4. Add about 3 tbsp of raspberry jam on top, and continue to alternate with the ice cream base and jam.
5. Using a small spatula or spoon, gently fold the jam and ice cream base to create a “swirl”.
6. Cover and freeze for about 3 hours.
This ice cream is best served fresh. Leave it out on the counter for about 20 minutes before serving if frozen overnight.
Want even dairy (and non-dairy) icy treats? You can find more delicious recipes here.