Dads love to sink into a good book during the lazy days of summer just as much as we do! We know he loves everything from music to technology. There’s no shortage of great books to add to dad’s list.
We love the idea of an eReader for us and for dads because it’s easy to take everywhere and anywhere. From the commutes on transit to work and the summer escapes near the lake, it’s a handy device to have. He can take it on this travels (hey, are we all travelling with carry-on only these days?) or even just enjoying peace in the backyard.
We recently had a chance to test out the latest Kobo Clara 2E eReader and took it on our travels out west! It’s convenient and considered the most eco-consciously way to read AND listen to your favourite titles.
- made with recycled, ocean-bound plastics (85% exterior shell).
- has an upgraded 6” HD E Ink Carta 1200 touchscreen.
- includes Dark Mode AND ComfortLight Pro with blue light reduction so it won’t affect your sleep quality. It also adjusts the brightness and colour temperature to help reduce eyestrain.
- has 16 GB of storage for your eBooks, Kobo Audiobooks, also with BlueTooth wireless technology (storage average 2,000 eBooks or 75 Kobo Audiobooks).
- offers long battery life on one charge for a week or more depending on usage.
- waterproof so you can take it in the bath, poolside, or fishing and not have to worry about spills and splashes. Meets requirements of IPX8 rating and waterproof for up to 60 minutes in up to 2 metres of water.
- With a subscription to Kobo Plus the user has access to “all-you-can-read eBooks”.
- The Kobo Clara 2E also has a built-in local library borrowing capability via OverDrive.
Books to add to Dad’s library:
Genius Makers: The Mavericks Who Brought AI to Google, Facebook, and the World by Cade Metz
What does it mean to be smart? To be human? What do we really want from life and the intelligence we have, or might create? With deep and exclusive reporting, across hundreds of interviews, New York Times Silicon Valley journalist Cade Metz brings you into the rooms where these questions are being answered. Where an extraordinarily powerful new artificial intelligence has been built into our biggest companies, our social discourse, and our daily lives, with few of us even noticing.
Deliver Me From Nowhere: The Making of Bruce Springsteen’s Nebraska by Warren Zanes
Without Nebraska, Bruce Springsteen might not be who he is today. The natural follow-up to Springsteen’s hugely successful album The River should have been the hit-packed Born in the U.S.A. But instead, in 1982, he came out with an album consisting of a series of dark songs he had recorded by himself, for himself. But more than forty years later, Nebraska is arguably Springsteen’s most important record—the lasting clue to understanding not just his career as an artist and the vision behind it, but also the man himself. Warren Zanes spoke to many people involved with making Nebraska, including Bruce Springsteen himself. He also interviewed more than a dozen celebrated artists and musical insiders, from Rosanne Cash to Steven Van Zandt, about their reactions to the album.
The Making of Another Major Motion Picture Masterpiece by Tom Hanks
From the legendary actor and bestselling author: a novel about the making of a star-studded, multimillion-dollar superhero action film … and the humble comic books that inspired it. Funny, touching, and wonderfully thought-provoking, while also capturing the changes in America and American culture since World War II.
The Daily Dad by Ryan Holiday
The #1 New York Times bestselling author of the smash hit The Daily Stoic, The Daily Dad provides 366 timeless meditations on parenting in a few manageable paragraphs a day — useful for even the most sleep deprived new parent. Whether you’re expecting your first or are already a grandparent, The Daily Dad offers encouragement, perspective, and practical advice for every stage of your child’s life.
Prepared by Mike Glover
A former Green Beret’s indispensable course in preparedness, teaching the keys to building a resilient and fearless life. Drawing on Glover’s most dire experiences in combat and in the real world, this book shows you how almost no disaster is more powerful than someone who is truly prepared. For Glover, surviving catastrophe is not about fearing crisis, but creating more resilient habits so that you can be ready for whatever comes your way.
Looking for more Father’s Day gift ideas? Link here to our editorial team’s top picks here.