We’re taking advantage of the warmer weather and getting outside as much as we can. With that in mind, we’ve been looking for something that’s tasty and fresh. Plus we’re eyeing all the gorgeous veggies coming into the city from local farmers at the many pop-up farmers’ markets this season.
This “meal in a jar” is perfect if you’re a fan of grilled veggies. Perfect for road trips, picnics, lunch breaks at the office, and at the cottage – just assemble a few and leave them in the fridge so everyone can just grab and go at their leisure.
And while we’re offering up an easy recipe to follow, you can certainly go freestyle and add in your favourite veggies! Shishito peppers are my faves! The added flavours of the new Sabra Limited Edition Salsa Verde Hummus offers next level yumminess.
GRILLED HUMMUS MEAL JARS
Ingredients: (adapt veggies to you liking)
- 1 red pepper, seeded and sliced or chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and sliced or chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, seeded and sliced or chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 large green zucchini, chopped or cut in small half slices
- 1 large yellow zucchini, chopped or cut in small half slices
- 1 small head of radicchio, sliced
- 1 romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 firm avocado, sliced or cut into small cubes
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced in half rounds
- 1 lime, cut in half rounds
- 1 (283 g) container Sabra Limited Edition Salsa Verde Hummus
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper for seasoning
- Grilled the vegetables separately each time with a drizzle oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside to cool.
- To assemble jars, add 3 tbsp of the Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette (see recipe below) to the bottom of a 4 cup sized Mason Jar.
- Layer in grilled vegetables.
- Add 2 to 3 tbsp of the Salsa Verde Hummus.
- Add avocado and top up the jar with lettuce and radicchio. Repeat the layers as desired.
- Repeat in other jars if there’s leftovers
- Keep cool in the refrigerator until ready to eat. Eat within 24 hours. Pour contents into bowl if desired when serving and sprinkle with crispy chickpeas (see recipe below)
CILANTRO LIME VINAIGRETTE:
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
Mix all ingredients for vinaigrette together and keep in the fridge until ready to use.
- 540 ml can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
Add olive oil to a hot pan, then add in chickpeas. Keep stirring until chickpeas are crispy. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cool before eating. Great accompaniment to the salad jar or add them right into the jar itself.